Sunday, December 11, 2005

dead time

she’s paused
with her mouth slack
she’s waiting
on her still ringing
phone call

watching across from her
i feel a sudden fear
i've failed to see the hand
held up to her ear

her bronze hair
a wiry shock
her gray eyes
frozen blank
her blanched skin
folded gaunt
motionless
i can't look

has she stopped
and we have gone on?

she suffuses back
all at once
flashing eyes
‘yes five more
minutes now-’
raising brows
‘yes make sure
you keep- ’
smiling

she’s not so ugly
after all

we rattle and shake
we lurch
no one moves
we’re bus people
we’re already home

i’ve got a mind for
dinner menus
and dry socks
no time for talk
shh
much awaits
shh
how much time
has passed?
shh

is it time to pull?
did i stay too long?
has it passed already?

whipping winds
waited for
maybe behind her talking head
maybe behind this black sheet
i can’t feel

i can’t hear
you anymore

are we here yet?

4 comments:

vatum & vixen said...

...and where did the time go?
As time must to and fro.

A hazy view of a journey, I like it.
vatum

learn said...

ooo thank you vatum...who knows where the time goes?

I adore you both, read at your site often. Lots of fun and games, lots of interesting thoughts..

Got to get my links back up but I'm playing around with the template.

Thanks for stopping by,
Learn

Challenging M said...

"are we here yet?"

In my life, no, I never will be because its a constant journey with no pre determined path, in fact the only thing that remains the same is that things change.

My, aren't we reflective ;)

Nice to be back to see you, still catching up with everything in my new house.

FH xx

learn said...

Hey FH!!

When I was a kid I used to ask 'are we here yet?' instead of the usual 'are we there?'. I never got why people laughed, it made perfect sense to me.

Good to see you back too!!

Learn